The European Commission and the Living Rivers Europe Coalition, of which the European Anglers Alliance is a proud member, organise a networking event on Europe’s freshwater fishes in the context of the EU Biodiversity Strategy targets for protected areas and conservation status improvement of habitats and species. The networking event will take place in the premises of the Committee of the Regions (Brussels), on 24 and 25 November 2022. Its plenary session will be organised as a hybrid event (morning of first day), but in-person participation is required for the interactive breakout sessions (afternoon of first day and morning of second day).
The event will gather national and European freshwater fish experts, conservation NGOs and stakeholder groups, as well as national or regional representatives in charge of preparing the national pledges for protected areas and conservation status improvement of habitats and species. It aims at highlighting opportunities for improving the protection and management of Europe’s freshwater fish species, including in terms of transnational cooperation, covering both the species listed in the annexes of the Habitats Directive, and IUCN Red listed species.
The event is organised by the European Commission and the Living Rivers Europe (1) coalition in the frame of the EU biogeographical seminar process.
Day 1: Thursday, 24 November 2022
09:00-12:30 Plenary seminar on Fish and Rivers in the EU Biodiversity Strategy (also available online)
12:30-13:30 Lunch Break
13:30-16:00 Parallel breakout sessions
• Session A: Pledges for strict protection of freshwater ecosystems;
• Session B: Improving management of fish populations;
16:00 – 16:30 Reporting back and plenary discussion
16:30-18:00 Networking reception
Day 2: Friday, 25 November 2022
09:00 - 11:30 Parallel breakout sessions
• Session C: Connectivity for migratory fish species;
• Session D: Main drivers of decline of the lesser known fish species;
11:30 – 11:40 Short Break
11:40 -12:30 Reporting back and plenary discussion
(1) “Living River Europe” is a coalition of NGOs founded in 2017, dedicated to conservation and restoration of Europe’s river ecosystems, that includes the European Anglers Alliance (EAA), the European Environment Bureau (EEB), the European Rivers Network (ERN), the Nature Conservancy (TNC), the Wetlands International European Association (WI-EA) and the WWF European Policy Office (WWF EPO).